I kept many of my favorite pieces from the old days when I had a bigger semi-pro studio. These days, I can do much more with much less physical gear. A central console desk has 16u of outboard gear space, although these days, much of that gear is virtual.
In 2020, I started getting into DIY projects with microphones and mic preamps. The result is that I have what I feel is a very cool range of sonic colors and textures to choose from when capturing about any instrument or voice.
The main studio room is in a guest room in the house with high vaulted wood ceilings. Acoustic panels keep the reverb time of the mix room to an appropriate amount - not too wet and not too dry.
Off of the main room there is a large open very live space - again with the high vaulted wood ceilings. Acoustic instruments sound gorgeous in there.
- (2) Modified MXL990s with custom Electronics and Capsules.
- Modified MXL 910 with custom electronics and capsule
- Modified Sterling ST55 with custom electronics, capsule and transformer.
- Modified Oktava MK219 (FET/Transformer)
- (2) Shure SM81
- AKG 414B-ULS
- Sennheiser e609 Dynamic Mic
- (2) Shure SM57
- Oktava MK012 SDC
- Audix Drum mics
- Sennheiser e602 Kick drum mic
- Fender Stratocaster (1974)
- Gibson Melody Maker
- Fender Telecaster
- Danelectro Bass
- Various Percussion
- Gibson Acoustic Guitar
- Ovation Acoustic Guitar
- m-audio Keyboard Controllers
- Pro Tools
- Ableton Live
- Cakewalk by Bandlab
- Native Instruments Kontact
- Native Instruments Komplete 12
- Iztope Ozone Mastering Suite
- Magix Movie Studio
- Waves SSL e/g Channels
- Waves SSL g Buss Compressor
- Addictive Drums II with various Kits
- Focal Solo Be Studio Monitors
- Black Lion 500-series Rack
- Sound Skulptor 573 Mic Preamp
- Universal Audio 4-710d Mic Preamps
- Hairball Audio Lola Mic Preamp
- 2x CAPI VP312 500 Series Mic Pre with Hi Pass Filter mod
- 2x dbx 560a 500 Series Compressors
- Focusrite 18i20 Audio Interface
- Presonus Faderport 16
- dbx 162 Stereo Comp Limiter (mid-70s)
- dbx 163x Comp/Limiter
- Tube Works Vintage Class-A Tube D.I.
- Central Station Monitor Control