This is a rebuild of YOUR Sterling ST55 (Groove Tube GT55) Mic
The ST/GT55 is a solid well constructed mic. With this rebuild, harsh, sibilant high-end becomes smooth and silky. Thin bottom end becomes full. In the middle is a great harmonic richness that works well on almost anything you throw at it. The transformer brings some fantastic dynamics and saturation characteristics.
- k47 style Brass Ring Capsule in Custom Mounting Cradle
- All-discrete BFM transformer coupled circuit with Internal Pattern Switch
Our CK12 style edge terminated capsule will not fit well in this mic so we do not offer that choice.
Our board has the the optional internal pattern switch. However, the ST55 Sterling and GT55 Groove Tube mics are not as simple to open and close as other mics. We still think it’s a good idea to get the switch, but be aware that opening and closing the body requires a bit of care.
- The imported (China) T8 style. This is low cost transformer which performs pretty well. It has a slightly thinner and brighter tone.
- CineMag (USA) 5722w. This is a very high quality transformer which is still moderately priced. It has a very full, even tone with great harmonic content and transformer crunch. Probably the best choice overall for most applications
- The Tab-Funkenwerk (USA) T12 style. This is a more expensive transformer. It has a massively fat and full low and low-mid response. Although it has great high frequency response, you may perceive the overall tone as slightly dark because of the extra full lows and low-mids.