life is short. do good work.
The current iteration of RockScience is an incredible studio for sweetening, overdubs, editing and mixing. I can do full band tracking sessions as well. My specialty is working on projects collaboratively and remotely. I can can arrange and add background vocals, guitars, keyboards, percussion, drum programming and just about anything else to your projects. I can also take on mundane tasks like building a rock-solid accurate tempo map for your project (in Pro Tools, Cakewalk or Reaper), timing fixes, edit/cleanup, etc.
I’ve spent my life recording, playing and engineering music. Eventually, this led to a successful Software Engineering career including nine years at Cakewalk Music Software where I was one of the principal developers on SONAR (now Cakewalk by Bandlab).
I am mostly interesting in getting involved in the creative process. Depending on the level of collaboration, my rate is free or very modest. I prefer to work collaboratively being part of the creative process. In those situations, my only pay is the joy of working with you on your art.
I kept many of my favorite pieces from the old days when I had a bigger semi-pro studio. These days, I can do much more with much less physical gear. A central console desk has 16u of outboard gear space. A Black Lion Audio “500-series” rack hosts a variety of very high-end Mic Preamps and dbx Compressors. A Universal Audio 4-710d “twin-finity” preamp gives me four more channels of tube/transisitor variations as well as a classic “FET” style compression.
In 2020, I launched my Custom Shop endeavor to explore building and upgrading microphones and other equipment. Since then, I am somewhat spoiled for choice when it comes to microphones. I have many different Large Diaphragm Condensers based on my and other’s designs.
Much of the gear in the 500 rack is also from the custom shop. The result is that I have what I feel is a very cool range of sonic colors and textures to choose from when capturing about any instrument or voice. My two favorite preamps are the CAPI VP312s which I have modified to add a hi-pass filter to. This takes a great sounding preamp and makes it even more flexible.
The Microphone collection is constantly changing as I am always building and upgrading new mics in my custom shop.
- Large and ever-evolving collection of Large Diaphragm Condenser mics – transformerless and trans-coupled from my mic mod shop.
- (2) Shure SM57
- Oktava MK012 SDC
- Audix Drum mics
- Pro Tools
- Ableton Live
- Cakewalk by Bandlab
- Native Instruments Kontact
- Native Instruments Komplete 12
- Iztope Ozone Mastering Suite
- Magix Movie Studio
- Waves SSL e/g Channels
- Waves SSL g Buss Compressor
- Various additional Waves plugins
- XLN Addictive Drums II with various Kits
Monitors, Preamps, Etc., Etc
- Focal Solo Be Studio Monitors
- Vintage Realistic Minimus 7 monitors
- Black Lion 500-series Rack
- Universal Audio 4-710d Mic Preamps
- Sound Skulptor 573 Mic Preamp (Neve-ish)
- Golden Age Premier 573 Preamp (Neve ish)
- 2x CAPI VP312 500 Series Mic Pre with Hi Pass Filter mod
- 2x dbx 560a 500 Series Compressors
- Focusrite 18i20 Audio Interface
- Presonus Faderport 16 moving fader control surface
- dbx 162 Stereo Comp Limiter (mid-70s)
- dbx 163x Comp/Limiter
- Tube Works Vintage Class-A Tube DI
- Central Station Monitor Control